Monday, March 30, 2015

Jonathan James Hansen
Outdoor Leadership
2/25/13
Heroes: Tom Hornbein
What is a hero?
Growing up I can remember vague definitions of what or who a hero was: he’s the one who saves the day, beats the bad guy, saves the world and gets the girl. I grew up watching movies, TV shows and school plays about people who did just that. To me a hero is much more than that. To me a hero is someone who does what’s right no matter what, especially if it’s hard. They also see us for who we really are and what we can become. They build up and help any and everyone around them even if they don’t deserve it. The Savior has all of the qualities that a hero needs, but looking to others and learning good things from them is also an attribute of being a good hero. Something I heard once off of a TV show once was that a hero is only as good as he is because of his enemies. And that’s partially true I think. But I think that a hero is someone who beats the villain in themselves first so he or she can be a better example or more useful to others.
The heroes in my life are The Savior Jesus Christ, My parents, my siblings, friends/missionary companions and (I’m not trying to be a suck up with this last one) my teachers/coaches.
First the Savior: The Savior is my all-time favorite hero because of what He’s done for not only me but for everyone no matter who they are. To the Savior everyone deserves a second chance. He Atoned/ suffered for our sins. He is my hero if only for that reason. He is also my hero because of the way He knows us: perfectly. The beauty of having the Savior as your hero is that he never messes up. You can always count on Him to know what He is supposed to be doing. (I could write novels on how and why else He is my hero but that will suffice).
My Parents: My parents are defiantly next in line when it comes to heroes. They've had to deal with me my whole life always helping me, always having my best interests at heart even if I don’t know what they are yet.  For example I called my Mom about this offer I got to preview movies for a company and give them feedback on what I thought they could do better. I wasn't sure if that’s what I wanted to do. So I called my Mom and talked to her about it and she said that if I wanted to do that then I shouldn't be scared of the opportunity. Afterwards I talked to my Dad and he said that if that’s what I wanted to do he would support me. That’s the kind of feedback that I love getting from my parents is the kind where they give me advice but allow me to make the decision on my own. I love doing this because it helps me to be able to help them become better parents. If I can come to the m with anything then they take the initiative and try that much harder the next time to give me better more sound advice.
My siblings: Along with my parents I also consider my siblings to be heroes. They are personal heroes to me because they love me no matter what I do or have done. They always give me positive feedback and direction. I can always count on them to give me good counsel. (Alma 39:10) I have seven siblings five sisters and two brothers three of my sisters have at least one child with one on the way my oldest brother has a wife who is pregnant and I feel that I can come to them with anything.
My friends/Missionary companions: You can tell a lot about a person by who their friends are and how they treat them because a) who they hang out with shows a lot about how they spend their time and b) who they become because of how they spend their time. I consider a lot of people to be friendly but not my friend. It’s nice but there is a difference. My companions were defined by my mission president as my mandatory best friends, and in some cases for me they did become my best friends. I definitely have some of my Missionary companions to thank for even getting to this point in my life.
My teachers: Every teacher that I have had or have now are my heroes because of the fact that they could have picked to do something else but they chose to give of their time and talents to teaching and perfecting of others. In fact some of the best rewards of teaching are learning from others. Some of the best teachers that I've had are the ones that have come up to me and told me that I had taught them something.

My coaches: Lastly my coaches are my heroes because they were able to push me to my limits when no else around me could. They always took the time to help me correct the mistakes I made and to help me to perfect my talents. At first I didn't like them at all but over time they came to grow on me. One of them, his name was coach Parris, my track and cross country coach, is my hero because every coach that I had came and went after the first season (in high school at least) he chose to come back after he moved and got another job. He pushed me to my limits to help make new records.


During a family lunch last summer, a man dressed as a superhero introduced himself to me. Many people around the world see these popular characters as “heroes.” However, I was blessed with the opportunity last week to celebrate the life of a real hero, Wallace “Wally” Leroy Price — a humble, unassuming 99-year-old usher for the Utah Jazz basketball team who passed away recently.
Wally was a wonderful man who tried his best to live the gospel and teach his children and grandchildren gospel principles. At a basketball game soon after the funeral, an empty chair sat alone in the usual place where Wally sat for so many years. Like Wally, we all have the capacity to be everyday heroes. Real heroes are those who try their best to inspire, uplift, and improve the lives of others, and who seek to love their fellowmen as the Lord loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment